Legal aid in family immigration cases

cases can NOAS assess?

NOAS will only provide counselling and legal aid in cases where the reference person is a resettlement refugee or has applied for asylum in Norway and on the basis of application for asylum has been granted residence permit in Norway, or where the applicant is an asylum seeker in Norway or in a refugee-like situation in another country.


your case to NOAS

If you want NOAS to review your case, you must send us a written power of attorney, and copies of the documents in your case.

Documents you must send if you want NOAS to look at your case:

  • Power of attorney with signature from both
    applicant and reference person
  • The reference person’s decision for
    residence permit (protection or humanitarian grounds)
  • Any rejection on application for a family
    reunification permit

If you have other documentation and/or information
that you find important for your case, you can send it to us.

How long does it take?

We will review your case as soon as possible. NOAS will always try to prioritize the cases that are urgent. However, there is no guarantee that we choose to assist in your case.

Counselling regarding the application

NOAS can provide counselling if you are going to apply for family immigration.

NOAS will not assist with filling out the application.

Legal aid after rejection

NOAS assess all the cases we receive. We prioritize cases where we believe there is a real opportunity to change the outcome.

In our assessment, we emphasize for example:

  • The assistance you have received in your case.
  • If there is new and important information in your case that UDI/UNE has not already assessed and which could give a different outcome in your case.

If we do not believe we can change the outcome in your case, we will let you know and explain why.