Legal aid from NOAS
NOAS offers help in asylum cases. If you seek legal aid for a family reunification case, an expulsion case, visa or citizenship, please contact Juss-Buss.
What NOAS does
NOAS can offer general information about the asylum procedure and criteria for granting protection. For general requests, call +47 22 36 56 60 on Monday, Wednesday or Thursday: 9.30 am – 12 pm, 1 -3.30 pm.
NOAS can also offer free legal aid in asylum cases. This means that we look at the cases of asylum seekers who have been rejected by the Norwegian Directorate of Immigration (UDI) or the Immigration Appeals Board (UNE). We consider all the cases that are sent to us. In the cases where we think there is a possibility of changing the case and get a positive decision, we write to the authorities on beahalf of the asylum seeker, in the same way as a lawyer. We also consider whether NOAS can contribute to the trial of cases in court.
In what kind of cases can NOAS offer legal aid?
NOAS reviews all cases that are sent to us to consider if we can help. NOAS receives many cases, and we therefore have to prioritize cases where our involvement could matter significantly. We will especially consider the following when reviewing a case:
- The quality of the help you have received from your lawyer. If your lawyer has done everything that should be done, normally NOAS will normally not engage in your case.
- Whether there is a realistic chance that the immigration authorities will change their decision in your case. A decision from the Immigration Appeals Board (UNE) is final. This means that the authorities hold that you are not in need of protection or should be granted a leave to remain on other grounds. It is very difficult to change a final decision.
- Whether there is new and important information in your case that the immigration authorities have not already considered and that could provide a different result in your case.
How do you contact us to ask for legal aid?
If you want NOAS to consider your asylum case, you have to send us your documents. If you do not have any, you can get a copy of them from your lawyer. If this is not possible, you may contact NOAS for assistance.
We need the following documents to consider your asylum case:
- Police registration form
- Asylum interview
- The UDI’s decision in the asylum case (First negative)
- The lawyer’s appeal to the UDI
- Any UNE decision (Second negative)
- Any appeal(s) to change UNE’s decision
- Any further UNE decisions
If there are any other documents than the ones mentioned above that you consider important to your application for asylum, you may send also these.
You also have to send us a power of attorney form and your contact details. We ask you to print the document below, fill it out and return it to us:
You can send all your documents to us via post or fax:
Postal address: NOAS, Torggata 22, 0183 Oslo
Fax: +47 22 36 56 61
We will review your case as soon as we can. NOAS receives a large number of cases and has limited capacity to review them. It will therefore often take several months before we are able to look at your case. We will always try to prioritize cases that are in urgent need of review. When we have looked at your case, we will contact you and let you know whether or not we can offer you our help.